Friday, October 10, 2008

The Little Squirt



Tyler Here:

On 10-9-08 at 7:00 pm, Kellen Tyler Ray (or "Special K" as I like to call him) was born. He weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs, 1 oz and was 19.5 inches long.

Basic story goes like this:

We arrived at the hospital about 8:00 pm on Wed. night to begin the induction process. They inserted medicine into her cervix to start to ripen it and help it become soft. That happened at around 10 pm. Around 3:30-4 am, they began induction and got her started on the epidural. At 8 am, the doc finally showed up and broke her water. After that we sat around for about 9 hours waiting for her cervix to dilate. At 5 pm she was finally fully dilated, and we began pushing. (Key point in the story here - Chloe hadn't eaten ANYTHING since 7:30 the Wed. night. So she's already on a 24 hour fast, with virtually no energy left.) After half an hour of pushing, the little guy decided to be a little difficult and wanted to turn his head to the side, making the pushing all that much more difficult. The doc then presented 2 options - we could either try to get him out with forceps, or opt to do a c-section. We wanted to try forceps first, but with the position of the baby's head, it just wasn't really safe. The doc tried to push his head up (so he would be looking upward diagonally), but he must have really liked staring at Chloe's hip bone. So, once the forceps option was out, we had to go under the knife. It wasn't long later, that our little guy was here. It took a while for the doctor to get him out, due to his huge head (imagine I'm Mike Myers saying that in "So I Married An Axe Murderer), but he finally popped his head out. I had a front row seat to the whole spectacle, and amazingly didn't flinch. I must have been hyped up on adrenaline.

Anyway, we're thrilled that he's here, and he's already a tank with a bottomless pit for a stomach, in typical Ray fashion. Both Chloe and Kellen are doing well. He had low blood sugar once we got into the recovery room, and he wasn't about to wait for Chloe to learn how to breast-feed, so they gave him some formula and an IV. They tested him a second time and his blood sugar was normal. The third time it was low again, so they gave him some more formula. He's still a little erratic in his breathing (most likely due to the trauma of a failed vaginal birth and then being yanked out of his mommy's tummy... poor little guy!), so their keeping an eye on him right now. But everything's great and he's happy, and we're able to rest a little. I feel really bad for Chloe because she can't eat for another 15 hours or so due to the surgery/anesthetics. Ice chips only!

Now, there has been some disagreement about his characteristics, be they from the Ray fam or the Scott clan. I (and the doctor) immediately saw Sam Scott written all over this kid's face. Grandma Scott saw the Delwyn Ray features. I can now see that, but I still think Sam could say he was the father (don't read into that too much) and could fool anyone. Make your own judgment I guess.

We love you all, and are proud, happy, thrilled, terrified, and ESPECIALLY tired and hungry parents of a bouncing, baby boy.



Chloe at 39 weeks




Obviously very upset here.





Me working that diaper



Mom sees baby for first time



Happy Grandma, Proud Mom

16 comments:

Beth schell said...

Congrats y'all, he's beautiful! I love all that hair! Way to go Chloe! You are a trooper... I probably would have snuck in a Snickers or two!

Emily said...

OH HE IS BEAUTIFUL! Seriously he is so cute! You did wonderfully! Let us know if you need anything!

Kim and Todd said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you all. Wish we could be there.

Ashlyn Ellsworth said...

Congrats Texans!! I am so happy that Kellen is here and you are recoving nicely. I can't wait to hear all about it. Wow two of the old friends with babies in one week. Congrats again!!

Michelle Andersen said...

Chloe!!! What the heck is up with c-sections!! I seriously feel for you with the whole not eating, being in labor forever, having a c-section, and then having to be on a liquid diet when all you want is food!! I'm going to call you for details, but will let you relax for a little bit. Congrats you two! Just think, Kellen is here all because of me...j/k Love you!

Sammy said...

Congrats Chloe & Tyler. He is adorable. You did so great! Get lots of rest and use your mom till she's exhausted while she's here!! Can't wait to come over and see little Kellen!

Rachelle & Matt said...

Chloe and Tyler,

Charlotte told me the great news and I am so excited for you both! What handsome little boy you have and I am glad you are all doing well. Congrats!

Love, Matt & Rachelle

JoSue said...

Oh my heck Chloe! What an ordeal!? You are such a trooper to go through all that and end up doing a C-section to top it off! That little bugger, he wanted to make it difficult. :) I'm sure it was all worth it. You look great in your pictures and happy to have the little one out of you! Can't wait to see him in real life. He'll probably be walking by then.... CONGRATS!!

Jill Revell said...

Yeah! Congrats you guys. Good job Chloe! TOO CUTE!

Sara and Justin said...

Aww, what a beautiful baby boy! Congrats you two!!

merrilykaroly said...

Ooooh sooo precious! How darling! Congratulations! I hope you get to eat some food soon, Chloe!!!

Patrice said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I am sooo happy! It's amazing the similarities we had with our labor although it was only a total of 5 hours from the time I stepped into the hospital until Sampson was born. When I first saw Kellen I thought "He looks just like his mama!" :) Anyway- rest up and congrats!!! Ohhh...I LOOOVE little boys....

Ali Snow said...

So adorable! Congratulations Chloe! You'll be a wonderful mom :)

Erin Ellsworth said...

What a roller coaster having a baby is! He is so cute, I can't wait to see more pictures. Reading your story makes me nervous and excited to have my next baby. I remember being so tired, I didn't know how to function, but at the same time it is so amazing to see and hold your baby! I am glad your mom and Tyler are there. Call when you are ready!

The Andersens said...

Congratulations on the new one. It is so fun being new parents. We are so happy for you and can't wait for more updates.

The Palmers said...

i'm so happy it's all over and you have your darling boy. i can't WAIT to meet him and see y'all again. you're amazing! i know you'll be busy for.... forever, but i want to talk to you soon! good luck being mommy! i'm sure you're the best. love ya.